- We're open as usual during the Coronavirus outbreak. See our guide to government support.
|CORONAVIRUS INCOME SUPPORT SCHEME|
The government has announced recently an income support scheme for the self-employed who have lost income due to Coronavirus (COVID-19). We have received queries from drivers on what this means for them.
Here is how it works.
How much can you get?
- 80% of your income, based on your average monthly profits, up to a maximum of £2,500 a month
- Payments will start to be made in June directly into your bank account, in one instalment covering March, April and May
- While the scheme's initially to cover three months, the government has said it may be extended
- The good news is that it’s not a loan – you don’t need to pay it back
Are you eligible?
- You have to earn income mostly through self-employment (most drivers fall in this bracket)
- You have to earn less than £50,000 per year (most drivers fall in this bracket)
- You must have already submitted a 06/04/2018 to 05/04/2019 tax return
- You have continued to work as self-employed since 06/04/2019 and intend to continue
How do you claim?
- If you are eligible, HMRC will send you a letter inviting you to apply online
- There's no need to contact HMRC now as there's nothing you can do to apply at this stage. If you believe you're eligible and don't hear anything when HMRC does start contacting people then contact them at that stage
Other things you might want to know:
- You might also be eligible for Universal Credit, found out more at https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit
- If you have problems paying your tax bill, you can contact HMRC to discuss your options
Can ClickTo.Tax help?
- We're here for you!
- If you have any queries, you can use our live chat (bottom right). There is also our Contact Us page for other options
- If you have yet to submit your 06/04/2018 to 05/04/2019 tax return, it's not too late, you can do this quickly online with us by 05/04/2020 for £40
- Don't forget, you can also use us to submit your 06/04/2019 to 05/04/2020 tax return, this will be available to do from 06/04/2020 for the same affordable price
Last updated - 26/03/2020 (3 months ago)